Bird Key Yacht Club can trace its history to one of the original developments on Sarasota Bay.
Our clubhouse is located on the site of the New Edzell Castle, the first mansion in Sarasota built by the Worcester family in 1914 and named after their ancestral home in Scotland. The mansion, with electric lights, steam heat, and hot and cold water, was positioned facing the mainland as the Club is today.
John Ringling purchased the mansion and the entire island of Bird Key in 1922. Ringling’s intention was to use the mansion and property as the winter White House for his friend, President Warren G. Harding. Although the Club is named for its location, it has never been for the exclusive use of Bird Key residents.
It welcomes members from across the area and the world. Today, Bird Key yacht Club is indeed an oasis on sparkling Sarasota Bay, offering members a busy schedule of activities or an afternoon and evening relaxing in this idyllic place that seduced its first residents over a century ago.